At 18, he published a sci-fi story about a totalitarian society.
He married in and raised a family. In he began taking writing courses at the University of Victoria, mainly benefiting from the tutelage of W. He received his B.
Sun Sentinel - We are currently unavailable in your region
He began selling his stories in He received an M. He taught English at the University of Calgary from to In , while living with his third wife, Ann Knight, in a White Rock apartment, he made his decision to try making his living as a writer on a fulltime basis. They feature a Cree narrator Silas Ermineskin, a would-be writer, and his outrageous entrepreneurial sidekick Frank Fencepost, as they invariably outwit white authorities.
Kinsella flatly rejected criticism that he had demeaned Indians by resorting to stereotypes. Dance Me Outside, a superb story in his first collection, was made into a Canadian movie by director Bruce McDonald, but Kinsella abhorred the result. The main characters resurfaced in the TV series called The Rez. I think it was just carelessness more than anything.
If you build it...
They buy these projects, work on them 18 months and then consider them their own. Kinsella was better known around the world for his baseball-related fiction, often incorporating magical or supernatural events. One of his best stories, The Thrill of the Grass, recounts how a retired locksmith reclaims the energy and purpose of his youth by secretly replacing artificial turf in a major league baseball stadium with real turf. Audaciously, the central character kidnaps J. Salinger as part of the plot. Probably no one uses baseball as metaphor better than Kinsella.
The stories in this collection range in tone from zaniness to pathos. It's hard to choose a favorite story: maybe the bizarre "Reports Kinsella always though of himself as a writer, although he wrote more than 50 stories before getting published.
The further adventures of Slugger McBatt : baseball stories
From: Reader's Corner, Inc. Raleigh, NC, U. Seller Rating:.
Hard Cover. Condition: Near Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Near Fine. First Canadian Edition.
The Further Adventures of Slugger McBatt: Baseball Stories
This is a near fine hardcover first Canadian edition in a near fine mylar protected DJ, white spine. Signed by Author. Seller Inventory More information about this seller Contact this seller 1.
About this Item: Boston: Houghton Mifflin, Advance, uncorrected proof of the first American edition. Gray wrappers lettered in black. A fine copy.
- A Physical Theory of the Living State the association-induction hypothesis!
- Clement of Alexandria and the Beginnings of Christian Apophaticism (Oxford Early Christian Studies).
- Construction Documentation Standards and Best Practices for Landscape Architectural Design.
- Google Web Toolkit : GWT Java AJAX programming : a practical guide to Google Web Toolkit for creating AJAX applications with Java?
- Sign-up FREE for 30 days;
More information about this seller Contact this seller 2. From: S. Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Fine.
- Recently viewed articles;
- The Life Cycle of Copper, Its Co-Products and Byproducts;
- The Further Adventures of Slugger McBatt by W. P. Kinsella, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®.
- The mystery of baseball | Maclean's | MAY 30, .
- A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are.
- Creating Gender-Fair Schools & Classrooms: Engendering Social Justice (For 5 to 13 year olds) (Lucky Duck Books);
- Adventures Slugger Mcbatt Baseball by Kinsella, First Edition;